Top 7 Highest-Paying IT Certifications
If you are intent on making IT your career choice, then there are a host of certifications available that you should consider pursuing. These certifications are for various fields in IT like networking, security and hacking, or systems administration and can help launch or enhance your career.
At the end of the day, everything depends on the $$$ you aspire to earn by opting for a career in IT. With that in mind, this article lists the top seven highest-paying IT certifications, what each job pays, and what the work entails.
The list has been prepared based on the salary data by Global Knowledge, a learning services and professional development solutions provider. You can zero down on the certification program you like and visit Global Knowledge website for more details.
1. Certification in the Governance of Enterprise IT (CGEIT)CGEIT is one of top earning option available for IT Pros. CGEIT covers a wide range of responsibilities, including those employees responsible for managing the framework for the governance of enterprise IT, strategic management of IT and the business, benefits realization, risk optimization, and resource optimization.
2. Amazon Web Services (AWS) Certified Solutions Architect – AssociateAs the name suggests, this exam is hosted by Amazon and designed for people who design and manage apps on Amazon Web Services (AWS) platform. The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Certified Solutions Architect – Associate covers everything in designing and deploying AWS systems.
If you want to try this certification, you need to have one year of AWS experience and professional knowledge of at least one major programming language. The exam will cost you around $150 and has 60 multiple choice questions which you have complete in 80 minutes. Passing this certification will land you a assured $123,801 per year (average) job.
3. Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)CRISC is an exam meant for risk management and C-Suite professionals. The CRISC exam covers four major risk subject areas: Identification, Assessment, Response and Mitigation, and Control Monitoring and Reporting.
4. Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)This is most popular certification for ethical hackers. If you’re a security consultant, manager, auditor, analyst, or systems engineer, CISSP is a right certification for you. The certification encompasses designing and engineering a company’s security protocol.
The test will cost around $599 and has 250 multiple choice and drag-and-drop questions. Passing this certification will land you a job with a assured pay package of $120,933 per year (average).
5. Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)This certification course is also a must have for ethical hackers and security researchers. However, unlike the CISSP, the CISM certification is focused primarily on information security management. If you intend to look for the post of CSO or CIO, you should take this certification.
The test will cost approximately $415 excluding prep materials and tutions and consists of 200 multiple choice questions. The only issue with this test is that you need 5 years of hands on experience in the relevant field. Passing the CISM certification will land you a $121,177 per year (average) job with good career opportunities.
6. Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)CISA certification is meant for those who want to pursue a career in IT security, IT audit, risk management, and governance. CISA exam requires you to have five years of related professional experience and 20 hours of training.
The exam costs around $500 and consists of 200 multiple choice questions.Passing this certification will land you a job portfolio with average yearly salary of $112,931.
7. Project Management Professional (PMP)If project management is your forte, you should go for PMP certification. This senior management level certification needs you to have a wide knowledge in IT. PMP certification is a necessary certification if you are looking to join those big tech companies like Facebook, Google, Oracle etc.
The test costs around $405 and comprises 200 multiple choice questions. You need to have a high school diploma; 7,500 hours leading and directing projects, and 35 hours of project management education. If you pass this examination, you will land a $112,153 per year (average) job with great career opportunities.